3 Things Winning Pool Companies All Have In Common
Success is a repeatable formula. I see so many struggling pool companies that all seem to share a few things in common. They all lack direction, sales goals, and a solid marketing plan. My company Pool Marketing focuses on helping pool builders and pool service companies overcome the hurdles that prevent them from achieving their goals. Let me share with you some of the insights I’ve learned through my experience working with pool companies on their marketing.
A Pool Sales Team Needs Direction, Goals and Marketing Support
Direction, Sales Driven Goals, and an executable Marketing Plan are literally the cornerstones of building a successful sales team. The most successful pool companies in the swimming pool industry have managed to put solid systems in place to help them achieve their sales goals.
One thing I learned as a Marketing Director for a large pool franchise, you need to do a fair amount of forecasting, projecting, planning and strategy before you ever spend dollar one. Most pool companies throw a budget at marketing as it suits them. They attack a lack of leads with a huge budget to fill an immediate need. This is a problem that is systemic and repeats itself throughout the sales cycle every quarter.
3 Things Successful Pool Companies Share in Common
- Direction — They have strategized which markets they need to be in and are actively engaged with marketing in those territories. They have a plan of attack to absorb market share within a given time frame and stick to it with an unwavering commitment to be #1 in that area.
- Sales Goals — Simply spending money without an expectation on how much revenue you expect to receive in return is a recipe for disaster. Successful pool companies project how many sales they expect to close from the amount of marketing spent. The marketing multiplier needs to be at least 3–4 times what is spent on marketing in order to be an effective strategy. Otherwise, don’t do it! Save your money. If you are only spending a budget on marketing to break even — your pool company is not really making any money.
- Marketing Plan — It’s one thing to say you’re going to do something, but if you don’t have an executable plan to achieve those goals, it’s really more of a wish than a plan. Putting a marketing plan together is a difficult task for most pool companies, after all there are only so many hours in a day. Building and servicing pools all day is a full time job in itself. However, it’s vital to the success of your company that you put together a solid marketing plan. This should include an effective web presence, digital advertising campaign, and many other vital components. See more details about pool marketing and pool advertising on our website.
Successful Pool Companies Monitor their Leads like a Hawk
Pool companies are not measuring, forecasting, and analyzing their lead flow. This in itself presents a problem. If you aren’t monitoring these statistics, you are literally leaving potentially millions of dollars on the table in lost pool sales. Here is why monitoring your leads is so important.
Successful pool companies watch their leads carefully because they know that marketing without doing so equates to flying blind. Struggling pool companies need to monitor their leads so that they know which sales campaigns are effective. Plain and simple. How can you spend money on advertising unless you know which channels and campaigns were effective and producing sales?
Without instituting some form of lead tracking, it’s literally like putting on a blind fold and throwing a dart at the board hoping you hit the bullseye. Some of the methods that companies institute are as follows.
- Track all paid ad campaigns with URL tracking and UTM tags that can be seen in all incoming leads.
- Institute a lead tracking software or some sort of CRM integration such as Hubspot or SalesForce that can warehouse the lead data and allow sales people access.
- Run reports on all of your pool companies leads every sales cycle to see which leads converted into sales.
- Make effective changes to your marketing campaigns based on the data you are getting in real time from your reports.
- Remarket to the leads you have not sold via email, text messages and phone calls to get fence sitters to convert into sales. Continue this process every quarter.
- Identitfy which leads can be used for referrals. Institute a method of tracking which customers are happy and most likely to produce referrals for your pool company. Incentivize these customers with special pricing, free product, free service or via other methods like gift cards.
These are just a few of the methods I teach pool companies to adopt in order to improve their sales. I hope that this post was informative for you. If your pool company is struggling with ways to generate more high quality lead flow, contact the Pool Marketing Experts. We are helping pool companies all over the United States, Australia, Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom to improve their sales. Let us help you put a marketing plan together that produces results.